Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Week 6 - Prezi Genres

1. The first genre I chose was International Mystery.

Rather than googling, I decided to look at the Genre bootcamp list for International Mystery from a few sessions back. This didn't send me to a web page, however.

Googling sent me to the "international mystery lovers" pages, but this is very different from International mysteries!

I started with some mystery bookstores, like Maryland's Mystery Loves Company, but they tended to be "gentler."

So I started with the granddaddy of the genre, Stieg Larsson, which linked me to scandinaviancrimefiction.com

While this site hasn't been updated in 2 years (sad face) it is still a good starting point for those who have falled for Lisbeth Sander and Harry Hole and will help get them more reading choices.


2. Because I'm such an avid reader of all genres, this was a tricky assignment for me. I chose International Mystery not becuase I was "unfamiliar" but more because I never actually read any Stieg Larsson or Jo Nesbo.

However, when browsing the Prezi, I can safely say I was unaware there was a genre called "Military Romance." So imagine my surprise when a simple google search sent me to http://fortheloveofmilitaryromance.blogspot.com/  It even has an abbreviation, "Milrom"!

This site just started in March, so maybe this genre is up and coming? It is well-represented by authors in the genre, including Marylander Laura Kaye. And it's most recent update was today!

3. The third genre I tried to look for was Gothic Horror. While I'm a pretty big horror fan, I thought it might be interesting to explore some more "obscure" horror, rather than the Stephen King horror.

I didn't find a blog ONLY about gothic horror, but the Horror Writers Association includes great reading lists, and is updated - and how fortuitous - the Bram Stoker awards were just announced.

GENRE MASHUPS:

The first one that came to mind is Cyberpunk Erotica. After a momentary panic when I searched that term and had Safe Search come up, I went directly to Goodreads and found a good list. Called "Robots, Androids, Cyborgs, Gynoids, My Love" it is a list of almost 100 titles featuring sexy AI beasts.

Returning to the horror genre, Literary Horror would probably be considered a misnomer by many, who think of horror as only pulp fiction. Many of Chuck Palahniuk's works would be considered this, and shows that horror readers have as wide ranging tastes as those of any other genre.



No comments:

Post a Comment