Friday, July 5, 2013

Week 7 - Teen

The articles:

New Adult : I don't think this one will catch on outside of those super involved in Teen literature.  There have been books published as Young Adult that involved characters out of high school for a long time. I have 9 books in my "college" shelf in Goodreads, and 6 of them were published as teen. (And one of the others was published as Adult but by an author known for writing for Teens.) After all, both Children and Teens like to read "ahead" - to see what life is like in the future.

As for Who is Buying Teen Books  I think this is interesting, but I doubt this is surprising to anyone who works with the public. Twilight and The Hunger games  are certainly the biggest offenders, but they just opened the door to others reading books within the genre.  Will it last? It may not fall back to where it was, but there will be a new trend before we know it and less adults will be reading teen, as tehy fall back into other things.


I used to follow Forever YA regularly but it didn't help me professionally and annoyed me personally (I'm not really in their target demographic - which is young hipster Etsy types) However, the fact that it exists and is so popular reflects the trends listed in the articles above. Reading/watching Teens and collegians is VERY popular with this demographic.

I looked at Little Brown Books for Teens and was disappointed about the lack of updating. The front page looks really up to date, busy and with lots of book trailers, but clicking in found many pages that were a year old (or more) http://www.hachettebookgroup.com/teens/books/




No comments:

Post a Comment